Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Whalers' newest hire a hockey lifer


The Plymouth Whalers are pleased and proud to announce they have hired Marshall Mackinder (yes, my brother!) as the team’s new Ticket Sales Coordinator and Director of Community Relations.

Mackinder, 22, comes to the Whalers from Niagara University in Lewiston, N.Y., where he earned a degree in communications and was the student equipment manager for the men’s Division I hockey team, an NCAA Tournament qualifier in 2004.

A native of Oak Park and 2001 Ferndale High graduate, Mackinder began his duties last Thursday and he will be responsible for group sales, fundraisers, community relations and the Whalers Kids Club.

“It’s always been a goal of mine to work in hockey and be able to make a living out of it,” said Mackinder, engaged to Ann McLellan of Coquitlam, British Columbia, a fellow 2005 Niagara graduate and four-year member of the Purple Eagles’ women’s hockey team. “I’ve been around this organization seemingly my whole life and it’s a great feeling and an honor to be a part of something special. I started out as a young kid attending Jr. Red Wings games at Joe Louis Arena and Cobo Arena and then games at Oak Park Arena and in Plymouth, but when I went to college, I got more into college hockey.

"Now that I have experience working closely with a Division I team, and was hired by the Whalers, it comes full circle and I am right where I want to be: working with the team I closely followed as a kid growing up."

No comments: