Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Michigan ties from Bucs' future collegians

The Des Moines Buccaneers are sending three players to college with Michigan ties in forwards Colin Vock, Aaron Palushaj and Trevor Lewis.

Pictured left, Vock, a native of Plymouth, came to the Buccaneers last season via a trade with the Indiana Ice. He will suit up for Vermont next year.

Palushaj and Lewis are future Michigan Wolverines.

"Colin has paid his dues and now he's reaping the benefits by going to an excellent school and hockey program," said Des Moines coach-GM Regg Simon. "Vermont is getting not only a good player, but more importantly, a good person. We couldn't be happier for Colin."

"I chose Vermont because I liked the campus and facilities. I was also very comfortable with the coaching staff and the players," Vock said. "I just felt like it was the best fit for me academically and athletically."

Lewis, a native of Murray, Utah, will join the Wolverines for the 2006-07 season. He is currently leading the Buccaneers in goals (19) and points (35). He is also second on the team and in league with a plus/minus rating of +20.

"This was one of the toughest decisions of my life," said Lewis of his decision to go to choose Michigan. "All of the schools that recruited me (Boston College, Maine, Minnesota, Ohio State) have outstanding hockey programs, but my gut feeling was to go to Michigan."

Palushaj, from Northville, is also performing well for the Buccaneers. He has recorded 20 points (six goals, 14 assists) as well as being among the top in the league in plus/minus with a +16. He will play another season for the Buccaneers before joining the Wolverines in 2007.

"Michigan has the academics and hockey program I was hoping to play for," said Palushaj. "The fact that I could be close to my home and family was a big part of the decision."

Simon said the two players have worked hard for the honor and will be missed in Des Moines.

"Both Trevor and Aaron are going to get a world class education and play at one of the most storied college hockey programs in the nation," said Simon. "Our entire organization is proud of them."

No comments: