Friday, June 19, 2009

Whalers sign Chiefs, Rangers alum Mattson

The Plymouth Whalers announced Thursday the signing of 18-year-old right wing Austin Mattson.

Mattson, a Livonia native, comes to the Whalers as a free agent after playing last season with the Sioux City Musketeers of the United States Hockey League, where he scored 12 goals with 16 assists for 28 points and 11 penalty minutes in 53 games.

“We’re excited to get a player of Austin’s caliber,” said Plymouth coach-GM Mike Vellucci. “He had a great second half last year (27 points over his last 29 games) in the USHL. I feel he’ll give us some offensive punch next year.”

“I’m a fast-skating player,” Mattson said. “I like to create plays and make things happen on the ice. I love the way Darren Helm plays.”

Before playing in Sioux City, Mattson skated in 2007-08 for the Marquette Rangers of the North American Hockey League, where he scored five goals with 14 assists for 19 points and 23 PIMs.

In 2006-07, Mattson played for the Motor City Chiefs of the Central States Hockey League where, as one of the youngest players in the league, he scored 15 goals with 23 assists for 38 points and 22 PIMs in 44 games.

“I actually grew up playing in the Compuware system, so I’m excited to play here,” Mattson said. “I grew up playing with (current Whalers) Beau Schmitz, RJ Mahalak and Tyler J. Brown.”

No comments: