Thursday, August 20, 2009

Saginaw signs four players Wednesday

The Saginaw Spirit announced the signings of four new players – defensemen Matt Braun and Frank Schumacher, goalie Tadeas Galansky and forward Garrett Ross.

All four were introduced amongst family and friends at the Spirit ticket and merchandise store Wednesday afternoon.

Braun signed with the Spirit following a season with the Oakville Blades, where he accumulated a goal and four assists and 61 penalty minutes in 27 games. The 1992-born Mississauga, Ont., native was selected 70th overall by the Spirit in the 2008 OHL Priority Selection.

“I am a big believer that hard work is what will get you far in life,” stated Braun. “I’m more of a defensive player - stay-at-home 'D.' I like to make simple plays and keep the puck out of the net when I’m on the ice."

Galansky, a '92-born Czech native, was selected 33rd overall by the Spirit in the 2009 CHL Import Draft.

"I want to become a goalie for the Saginaw Spirit and stop the puck," Galansky said. "I am looking forward to the upcoming season."

Ross and Schumacher, two Victory Honda alumni, were joined at the signing by the staff of Victory Honda and their former coaches.

Ross joins the team as a free agent after being selected 17th overall in the 2009 USHL Futures Draft by Cedar Rapids. The '92-born Dearborn native spent the 2008-2009 season in Victory Honda’s U18 program, accumulating 28 goals, 28 assists and 40 PIM in 46 games.

“I’m the type of player that likes to make plays, score goals, and work hard at the same time,” stated Ross. “I know Coach (Todd) Watson will push me hard and get help me play to the best of my ability."

Victory Honda U18 head coach Sean Ortiz feels that Ross is a tough kid.

“Garret Ross was the leading scorer on our team as a '92," said Ortiz. "He’s a very skilled player and a very competitive kid and that’s what’s going to help him continue to develop and grow."

Schumacher played in Victory Honda’s U16 program last season, posting nine goals, 10 assists and 63 PIM in 30 games. The '93-born Brighton native was selected 130th overall in the 2009 Priority Selection.

“I’m more of an offensive defenseman and I like to move the puck, score goals, and get points," Schumacher said. "My coaches were a big part of my development. They gave me a lot of confidence and continuously encourage me to work hard and do my best.”

Victory Honda U16 head coach Tony Maci guided Schumacher last season.

“Frank played last year as a defenseman and led our team in points as defenseman, which is hard to do at our level," Maci said. "I think he’ll be a good fit for these guys year after year."

All four players are set to attend the Spirit’s fall training camp that starts on August 26.

---------------------------------

No comments: