Sunday, June 13, 2010

Windsor signs first-rounder Webermin

The Windsor Spitfires today announced the signing of U.S defenseman Grant Webermin, Windsor’s first round pick (20th overall) in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection to an OHL contract and education package.

Webermin, a Southfield native listed at 6-foot and 170 pounds, scored 12 goals and 29 assists for 41 points with 62 penalty minutes in 52 games played last year with the Honeybaked Minor Midget team.

“Leading up to this year’s OHL Priority Selection, I had several great options to choose from in terms of playing either in Canada or in the U.S.," said Webermin. "I feel very privileged to have been considered by all the teams that approached me, but at the end of the day, home is where the heart is and that’s what coming to the Windsor Spitfires meant to me. I’m proud to call Windsor my home and officially becoming a Spitfire today is something that I will not soon forget.”

“We’re proud to bring in a quality player and young man like Grant to the Windsor Spitfires family," Windsor GM Warren Rychel said. "I see Grant contributing to our lineup right away in September and he will be an anchor for us on the back end for years to come. The Windsor Spitfires organization is thrilled to have a player of Grant’s caliber join the hockey club.”

Webermin will continue his studies at St. Anne’s High School in Lakeshore, Ont., next season.

Photo by Aaron Bell/OHL Images

No comments: