Friday, August 06, 2010

Plymouth names Sommariva asst. GM

The Plymouth Whalers have announced the promotion of assistant coach Brian Sommariva to assistant general manager, a new position created within the Whalers organization.

Sommariva joined the Whalers as a volunteer assistant coach in 2006 and has since worked in a variety of jobs for the team, including video analysis and player development. He was an assistant coach at Notre Dame Preparatory School for three years prior to joining the Whalers.

"Brian has been with us the last four years and he deserves this chance," Plymouth coach-GM Mike Vellucci explained. "I have been looking to fill this position for the last few years and we're confident in Brian's abilities. He'll be assisting me with daily duties and be in charge of our scouting and drafts. We want to stay connected with our prospects and Brian will be watching those players and maintaining those relationships."

Sommariva’s new position encompasses a variety of areas that have grown in importance as the Canadian Hockey League continues to develop league-wide.

“I’ll be assisting Mike and (associate coach Joe) Stefan with immigration and billet issues,” Sommariva said. “I’ll be helping Mike with player personnel decisions. I plan to be out on the road more this year, scouting as well as keeping in touch with our prospects.

"I feel privileged over the last four years to have seen so many players from our league continue their careers to the NHL level. I'm excited to talk to prospective players about the benefits of choosing the OHL, the Plymouth Whalers and our community. This job is a natural extension for me to continue to work with the coaches and current scouts. They know my personality and I know theirs, so there should be a real good synergy among us.”

No comments: