Saturday, January 01, 2011

Ex-North Star Nagy makes D-I choice

The Youngstown Phantoms have announced that defenseman Nilan Nagy has committed to play collegiate hockey at Holy Cross.

"Holy Cross has been talking to me since the Fall Classic," said Nagy. "They have kept up with me during the season and I recently had a chance to visit the school. After my visit, I loved the program and I loved the atmosphere there. I knew it was the right fit for my college career."

Nagy, who played last year for the Traverse City North Stars, has put up four points (1g, 3a) in 21 games during his first USHL season. His first career USHL point was the game-winning goal in the Phantoms' 3-1 win over Chicago on November 27.

The 19-year-old native of Canonsburg, Pa., was selected by the Phantoms during the 2010 USHL Entry Draft.

"(Holy Cross) liked my style of play," said Nagy who will pursue a degree in accounting at the school. "I play a more defensive minded style and I worry about things in my own end. The commitment takes the pressure off me, but I still need to work hard and focus on the little things to help my team succeed."

"Nilan is a very good, all-around defenseman," said Youngstown coach-GM Curtis Carr. "He makes simple, smart plays with the puck. He is a very dedicated young man who works hard both on and off the ice. He will be an asset and a staple at the Holy Cross program for the next four years."

Photo courtesy Youngstown Phantoms

No comments: