Monday, May 16, 2011

Lomberg Muskegon's top pick in draft


Ryan Lomberg
was hooked by Muskegon when he visited for the inaugural Muskegon Winter Showcase in February.

Monday morning, his desire to wear the Lumberjacks crest became a reality when the team selected the power forward with the sixth overall pick in the 2011 United States Hockey League Entry Draft.

“Muskegon is such a beautiful town,” Lomberg said. “The arena was awesome and the facilities were great. The coaching staff and ownership were nice and welcoming to me. I knew I wanted to be a Lumberjack right there and then.”

Lomberg stuffed the stat sheet to the tune of 99 points on 52 goals and 47 assists in 57 games with Hill Academy in Ontario this past season. Lomberg, a Richmond Hill native and the son of Trevor and Lori, is committed to the University of Maine.

“I like to think I’m an all-around player, and I’ll do whatever coach needs me to do,” Lomberg said. “I like to think I can score whenever the team needs one the most. I’m a power forward, and I like to throw the body around.”

Lomberg models his game after former National Hockey League superstar Gary Roberts. He tries to emulate the passion with which Roberts played the game.

Lomberg won’t settle for less than carving out an NHL career of his own.

“That’s my life’s goal,” Lomberg said. “That’s always been the dream.”

“I developed a lot of skills and got a lot stronger with Hill Academy,” he said. “I think I’ll be able to step into USHL action and contribute right away.”

Visit muskegonlumberjacks.com to watch the Jacks’ draft picks live. Also stay tuned to the website for feature stories on the team’s top selections.

No comments: