Friday, September 16, 2011

Andrews off to fast start with Jets

Doug Andrews is a player that Metro Jets’ head coach Jason Cirone said “is going to be a heck of a player for us this year.”

And after a six-point weekend to open the North American 3 Hockey League season last Friday and Saturday, who's to argue?

Andrews, who signed with the Jets late in the summer as a free agent, said he knew what he was getting into by joining the Jets.

“When I signed with the Jets, I had some knowledge of the league and I also knew some of the players that were in it,” said Andrews, a 19-year-old Macomb, Mich., native. “One of my coaches from last year, Andy Oleksy, informed me more about the team and thought this would be a good fit for me. When I signed, I actually didn't know much about Coach Cirone, but I know that he expects a lot out of his players. I'm glad I am playing for him this year. I’m going to work hard and focus on becoming an all-around better hockey player.”

Last season, Andrews was part of the Troy Sting Midget AA team (pictured) that won the state championship. The Sting was coached by Fred Costello, a former head coach of the Jets.

Once last season ended, however, Andrews was already looking ahead to making the jump to junior hockey.

“I really tried to prepare myself all summer for the upcoming season by off-ice conditioning and also working on my shot,” the 5-foot-9, 170-pound Andrews said. “This has helped me get off to a good start this season. I don’t really feel any pressure from what Coach Cirone said, I just go out and give 100 percent every shift.”

Growing up, Andrews idolized NHL stars Steve Yzerman and Peter Forsberg. He said both “always played with class and heart.” He tries to model his game after those two and hopes to one day climb the hockey ladder to higher levels.

“I would like to progress next year to the NAHL or a college team,” boasted Andrews. “I intend to do this by continuing my work ethic.”

Or just by simply continuing to be one heck of a player.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Mike Moroso, who played for the Jets last season, led the Port Huron Fighting Falcons over the Traverse City North Stars, 5-2, with a two-goal effort in a preseason NAHL game at Ferris State University on Sept. 8.

"(Moroso) basically made our team out of camp and the reason he did is because he put pucks in the net," Port Huron head coach Bill Warren said to the (Port Huron) Times-Herald. "Did I expect him to score two goals? No. But does he have that ability? Yes."

Last year with the Jets, the 20-year-old from Macomb, Mich., was third in team scoring with 20 goals and 16 assists for 36 points in 43 games. He also led the team and was second in the NA3HL with four shorthanded goals.

No comments: