Friday, December 07, 2012

Jets' rookie defender Burrough fitting in

Myles Burrough was one of many players the Metro Jets scouted heavily last season and while he knew this was certainly the case, it helped Burrough’s decision as to where to play this season that much easier.

When he was offered a tender for the 2012-13 season, Burrough wasted little time putting his signature on it.

“I knew they had a little interest in me and I had talked to them a few times,” said Burrough. “I decide to sign the tender after I went and watched them play and learned more about the league. I knew they had a good team and coach (Jason Cirone).”

A 19-year-old defenseman from Metamora, Burrough has just one assist in 19 games thus far, but offense is not the name of the game for this defensive defenseman, who is also plus-5 on the year.

“My role with the team is to keep the puck out of the net,” stated Burrough. “I am happy with the way the season has gone so far. We have a young team and we are improving greatly. Everyone gets along and is very positive. I think my biggest adjustment has been to the speed of the game and time management.”

Making the jump from Midget AA hockey with the Mt. Clemens Wolves was a major leap, admitted Burrough. If not for his coach last season, he may not have been able to prepare for junior hockey.

“My long-term goals are to keep having fun and playing hockey as long as I can,” Burrough said. “My coach from last year, Andy Oleksy, got me into the right frame of mind to never give up and I think without him, I wouldn’t be where I am right now.”

JET STREAKS

At the NA3HL Showcase last weekend, the Jets acquired forward Michael Lawrence from the Granite City Lumberjacks, added 17-year-old defenseman Evan Bennett and 16-year-old defender Aaron Bessey and placed defenseman Derek Britton on injured reserve with a shoulder injury.

The 19-year-old Lawrence was drafted by Granite City in the 10th round of the 2012 NA3HL draft and is a 19-year-old Mattawan native. Bennett (Kalamazoo) and Bessey (Lansing) are both Michigan natives and made their Jets’ debuts at the showcase.

The NA3HL named Jets’ goalie Alex Nedeljkovic the Goaltender of the Month for November.

Nedeljkovic was in goal for all four of the Jets wins in November as he posted a perfect 4-0 record along with a .942 save percentage and a 2.00 goals-against average. After his four games with Metro, he was sent back to the Ontario Hockey League’s Plymouth Whalers, where he started the season.

In the games that the 16-year-old Nedeljkovic didn’t play during the month, Metro was 0-3. In the games he did play, the Jets went 4-0.

“He was in our league to get some experience and he faced quite a few shots in the four games he played,” said Cirone. “I think our team fed off his confidence while he was here and everyone played a little more inspired. I think he brought a certain level of exposure to the team.”

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? 

Forward Kevin Wittenberg, who played briefly with the Jets during the 2008-09 season, is now playing for the Vernon Hills Capitals of the Great Lakes Hockey League, a semi-pro league that has been in existence since 1937.

In the ’08-09 season, Wittenberg had a goal and an assist in 16 games with the Jets.

No comments: