Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ice Dogs' Ledgerwood all effort on the ice

Hunter Ledgerwood is beginning his second season as a Michigan Ice Dog.

During the 2010-2011 season, Ledgerwood was playing on the Michigan Ice Dogs’ AA team for coach Tony Digusti, a turning point in his young career.

“Coach Digusti got me prepared for the upcoming junior season and he told me to try out and I made the junior team,” recalled Ledgerwood.

 “Ledgerwood came into his own in the second half of last season,” said Ice Dogs’ junior coach Tony Graham. “He’s playing smarter and he’s stronger than he was last year. He’s due for a big season this year and I expect him to be in the top six for scoring.”

Ledgerwood plays hockey with a lot of passion. While he’s not the biggest guy on the team, he knows how to take care of himself. He’s not scared to go to the boards. You can find him dodging big hits while hanging out in the middle of the action. Ledgerwood is always competing. He’s an unselfish player who will pass the puck as often as he’ll shoot it.

Hockey has meant a lot to Ledgerwood.

“I've gotten a lot from hockey; the team is my family,” Ledgerwood said. “Not only is it a sport, but it's a lifestyle. We make sacrifices and give so much time to it. I feel as if it's getting me prepared for life. Hockey definitely keeps me on the right track keeping up my grades and being the person I am today. “

Best Ice Dog memory: “I have many, but one of my favorite memories as an Ice Dog happened during playoffs. I was rooming at the hotel with Stewie, Subu and Barton and we were making so much noise that we woke up Coach Tony. He came into our room at about 2 a.m. to yell at us and we all acted as if we were sleeping, but then we jumped up, attacked him and started beating him up. Good times. I also remember how great it was to beat Wooster in playoffs and how we were celebrating our success with all the guys.”

Ledgerwood’s advice for young players: “My advice to a younger player is to always push yourself, but never be too hard on yourself. You want to be the best player you can be but you don't want to put yourself down while doing it.”

In the future, Ledgerwood plans to go to college and move into the medical field to become a physician’s assistant or a trainer.

No comments: