Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grizzel has high hopes for Hartland

Alex Grizzel only joined the Hartland Hounds last weekend and played in the team’s one game against the NWO Grrrowl, but already feels like he’s been with the team since the summer.

Originally signed to play for the MWJHL’s Traverse City Cohos, when that team unfortunately didn’t get off the ground, Grizzel wasn’t without a team.

“(Traverse City coach) Scott Gardiner helped me land a spot on the Hounds roster,” explained Grizzel, an 18-year-old Traverse City native who played last year at Traverse City West High School. “I feel I can bring a lot to the table offensively by scoring goals and making plays. I like big hits and dropping the gloves as well so hopefully, that will get the boys fired up.”

Recording an assist in Hartland’s 5-0 win over the Grrrowl last Friday night, Grizzel came away impressed with the makeup of the Hounds and the league overall.

“The team is great and we have a lot of skill and depth on the roster,” said Grizzel. “(Hartland head coach) Randy (Montrose) is a great guy, a great coach and I’m excited to play for him this season. From what I saw in Toledo, the league looks pretty solid.”

In Hartland, where the vast majority of players are from the Hartland and Howell areas, Grizzel doesn’t see him coming from up north as an issue.

“I feel I fit in fine,” Grizzel said. “In hockey, it does not matter where you’re from. Everyone is just trying to have fun and live the dream.

“I think we have the team to win a national championship this season.”

No comments: