Friday, August 12, 2005

Sestito earns free agent tryout with Oilers


Outgoing Plymouth Whalers co-captain Tim Sestito will attend the Edmonton Oilers' rookie training camp next month on a tryout basis as a free agent invite.

Never drafted by an NHL team, Sestito, a native of Rome, N.Y., posted career-highs last season in Plymouth with 14 goals and 32 points in his fourth and final OHL campaign. He signed an amateur tryout contract with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL after the OHL season and scored in his first professional game.

"Going into camp, I want to make a great impression early and often," said Sestito, who turns 21 on Aug. 28. "I feel like I am in the best shape of my life this summer and I am hoping it pays off in Edmonton. I have to be an agitator on the ice, getting my nose dirty and playing hard, as well as being responsible in my own end."

Rookie camp starts Sept. 5 and lasts one week. If Sestito gets an invite to Edmonton's main camp, that starts Sept. 15.

Sestito was originally Plymouth's third-round pick, 44th overall, in the 2001 OHL Priority Selection. Last year was his overage year in Plymouth and he had the chance to play with younger brother, Tom, on the Whalers.

"This fall is definitely going to be a new and different experience," the 6-foot, 195-pound Sestito added. "I was very comfortable and enjoyed every minute of being in Plymouth. It's a little sad leaving friends, family (Tom) and my billets, but on the other hand, it is exciting to try something new and see how far I can take my hockey career.

"One thing I know for sure is I will be looking up the game stats after every weekend to see how Plymouth made out as well as checking the message boards to get the perspective of the fans that were there."

No comments: