Friday, August 26, 2005

Shawhan spurns Cleveland, joins LSSU


Former Soo Indians head coach and general manager Joe Shawhan, originally named the new coach of the Cleveland Barons a couple weeks back, has now officially been named an assistant coach at Lake Superior State University.

Shawhan said the Barons jumped the gun on his signing with them and that an assistant's job at LSSU, his alma mater, was what he really wanted ever since the Indians folded after last season.

"I want to say thank you to the NAHL and Sault Tribe for giving me a great opportunity, and to Cleveland for being so patient," said Shawhan, a Sault Ste. Marie native. "I thank all of the people who supported the Indians for the 10-year period. One of the most difficult scenarios in this process was leaving something that I helped build, but I'm thankful I will have the opportunity to bring that excitement to LSSU.

"The people who were with us in building that, all of the fans and the community, can be a part of the continued growth of Laker hockey. When I was with the Indians, walking through the stands from the lockerroom to the bench during home games, I became used to seeing those people and they became friends. I look forward to seeing those same people again. I hope they appreciate Laker hockey as much as they appreciated Indians hockey. We need their support."

The Indians placed more than 100 players into college hockey programs during the past decade. The most-notable was goaltender Ryan Miller, who went on to Michigan State and won the 2001 Hobey Baker Award. Several others have gone on to play at LSSU, including current Lakers Dominic Osman, Justin Gutwald and Marty Gurnoe.

Read the full release from LSSU here.

No comments: