Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hargett making points count for Jets

Travis Hargett is hoping the third season with the Metro Jets is the charm.

So far, it has been for the 18-year-old Clarkston native as he has been scoring more than he did his first two years and has seen his ice time increase.

“Personally, I think that this year I have made huge strides in my game in my hockey sense and my ability to score,” noted Hargett, who has five goals and an assist through eight games. “I've been playing a lot more and having the confidence knowing that (Metro coach) Jason (Cirone) trusts me enough to put me on the ice in certain situations, like when we pull our goalie. I would say that so far this year in eight games, I am happy with the way I have played, but I still know that I can do better.”

Off the ice, Hargett has become much more acclimated to the lifestyle of playing junior hockey in the North American 3 Hockey League.

 “I know what to expect when I come to practice during the week and the difference between an early-week skate and a practice right before an important weekend,” said Hargett.

In his rookie season of 2010-11, Hargett posted just seven points and last year, he had 15 points. He is on pace to record greater numbers this season and part of that notion is how offensively-gifted the Jets seem to be this season.

”At camp this year, I knew right away that our team wouldn't have a problem putting the puck in the net,” said Hargett. “Scoring goals has not been an issue for us this year, just as it wasn’t last year. With our team, it’s being consistently defensively sound for the whole game.”

Playing mostly on a forward line this season with Alex Holm and Jeff Monfils, Hargett said the trio “plays together really well.”

“I love those guys and we usually know where the other two are on the ice and we make some really good plays,” explained Hargett. “We have a lot of fun together in the locker room and off the ice, too.”

On the ice lately, the Jets have not had too much fun as the team is embroiled in a six-game losing streak that began after a season-opening sweep at home of Battle Creek. Hargett isn’t ready to push the panic button, nor does he plan on it.

”The main thing to keep the guys focused is definitely knowing that it’s not an eight-game season,” said Hargett. “We have 40 more games and I know we will be OK and things will come around. We just need to keep working hard and keep our heads up.”

Taking his own advice is also something Hargett plans on doing to help further his career and get the Jets some more notches in the win column.

”This year I want to play my best, plain and simple,” Hargett said. “I will go where the road takes me and would consider both staying in junior hockey or playing in college.”

Photo courtesy Andy Grossman/Detailed Images

No comments: