Thursday, October 18, 2012

Kerr making plays, getting into the grind

Thomas Kerr is the type of player fans notice right from the get-go.

Kerr, a forward with the Hartland Hounds, can score goals in bunches and he can rack up hits in bunches.

Or both.

So far this season for the Hounds, the 18-year-old Howell native is third on the team scoring list with 16 points on seven goals and nine assists.

“It’s hard to describe my game, but I’m an offensive player who is all about getting goals and making the plays,” said Kerr. “I like moving the puck and setting up plays, but I always will stand up for my team. I play an aggressively-natured game and am not scared to get into the grind as well.”

Kerr, who played at Howell High School for Hounds’ coach Randy Montrose, is comfortable in his Hartland surroundings.

“I know the type of coach Randy is and he always wants to see you improve and works hard to get his players to move on,” Kerr said. “If you give him 100 percent, he returns the favor. It was an easy transition for me because I’ve played for Randy and with all the boys before and I feel like I fit into the pace of juniors very well.

“This year, I hope to improve my game and give myself options to continue playing hockey at a higher junior level or in college. I just want to do as best I can for this team, work my hardest everyday and have no regrets when it comes to this season.”

As a big contributor to the 12-0-0 Hounds’ start, Kerr realizes this is still the start to what is shaping up to be a fun season.

 “On a team level, I have great expectations for this team and I know we are going to do great things this year,” said Kerr. “I don’t expect this team to have many losses and the ones we do have, I know the other team is going to have to earn every second of it. That’s how we’re coached and that’s how we want to play. Plain and simple.”

No comments: