Saturday, August 25, 2012

Biggings finds time to smile in Hartland

Max Biggings had never played for Randy Montrose before, but he will get his chance this season with the Hartland Hounds.

A Hartland native, Biggings played for Hartland High School and last season, saw action in 28 games for the North American 3 Hockey League’s Metro Jets, based just east on M-59 in Waterford.

Biggings, who turned 20 earlier this month, will be utilized as a forward instead of a defenseman for Montrose this season, a move Montrose feels will be a huge benefit to the Hounds.

“Max is a big kid (6-foot-3, 195 pounds) and I think if we put him on a wing, he can really do some damage,” Montrose said. “The good thing about that, too, is that if we ever get into injury trouble, I can slot Max back on ‘D’ and he probably won’t miss a beat.”

“Well it's going to be different playing up front,” added Biggings. “But I'm a quick learner and I trust coach Randy and his coaching abilities.

“When I heard about the new team with Randy being the coach, I knew it was a great opportunity as I have always wanted to play for him. The expectations are always high and we expect to compete for the (Midwest Junior Hockey League) title.”

Biggings said with the Jets, he was able to adjust to the speed of the junior level and will use that knowledge this coming season in Hartland.

“This year, I’m looking for redemption at Hartland Arena and want to end on a positive note before moving on to play college hockey,” said Biggings, a Division 2 All-State honorable mention his senior year at Hartland. “The last time I played at the arena, I lost to my travel coach, who is now at Lakeland.”

For being such a big player with noticeable size, Biggings always seems to have a smile on his face and that was never more evident than during the Hounds’ tryout camp the first weekend in August.

According to Biggings, the grin has its’ time and place.

“I believe we already have great team chemistry and have a solid locker room,” said Biggings. “The smile will disappear when I hit the ice during the season, but off the ice, the smile will return.”

And if the Hounds win, even more reason to smile.

No comments: