Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hounds' Bodziak down, but not out

The season hasn’t started yet for the Hartland Hounds, yet the team is already down one key player.

Hartland native Zak Bodziak, a forward who committed to the team earlier this summer, will miss at least the first half of the season while he continues to recover from a separated shoulder suffered last year playing for Davenport University (pictured).

 “I just want to take my time and let this thing heal properly,” said Bodziak. “I’m not ready to hang up the skates yet.”

During a national tournament game last spring against California University of Pennsylvania, Bodziak had the puck behind the net and got hit by an opposing player.

“I got buried, just crushed,” said Bodziak. “It might have been a late hit, but whatever. I had X-rays a couple weeks ago at the University of Michigan and all the doctor really said was to stay away from heavy lifting. This isn’t something I can’t get through and I’m glad I made the decision to take my time with it.”

Hartland coach Randy Montrose said he will keep Bodziak on the active roster and Bodziak said he will be around the team as much as he can.

“I’m going to take some classes at Lansing Community College and work, but I’ll make it out to some games and maybe do some no-contact skating at practices,” Bodziak said. “My hope is that I can come back around Christmas and help give the team a push. The team seems like it’s really coming together and however I can contribute, that’s what I’ll do.

“Like I said, I’m not ready to be done with hockey and if this is a situation where I can put more focus on school and work, then I’ll take it. It’s really a win-win situation.”

No comments: