Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Traverse City adds Howell goalie Goulah

The Traverse City Cohos have signed a few players to score goals.

And now they’ve inked one to prevent them.

Bryce Goulah joined the fold this week and the former Howell High School goaltender says he’s looking forward to donning TC black, blue and silver.

“Junior hockey is a good stepping stone to the next levels,” said the 6-foot, 185-pound netkeep. “And I know coach (Scott) Gardiner and know he’s committed to moving kids on. My goal is to play at the NCAA Division I level, to get an education and hopefully further my playing career.”

Goulah went 9-1-1 during the 2011-12 regular season with the Highlanders, sporting a 1.76 goals-against average and .922 save percentage while leading the team to a district final before bowing out to eventual state champion Brighton.

“We’re hoping for big things from Bryce,” said Gardiner, who was an assistant coach at Howell a year ago. “I know what he can do, what he’s capable of and how we envision the next stage of his development. It’s a real boon for us to get him here.”

Goulah spent Tuesday in Traverse City, checking out the region, Centre ICE Arena and Traverse City Central High School– where the senior-to-be will attend classes beginning this fall.

“It’s a great area with great atmosphere,” Goulah explained. “With a new team in a new league that really looks like a solid model, I hope to be able to acclimate to the speed and physical demands and contribute to a lot of wins.”

Goulah is acquainted with at least one of his new teammates. He and current TC forward Alex Grizzel were classmates a year ago when Grizzel lived downstate during a midget major stint.

While his style is admittedly “very unorthodox,” Goulah says he prides himself on his ability to maintain posture while getting between puck and twine.

“I’d say it’s a little bit of a non-traditional, Tim Thomas-style of goaltending,” he offered. “But I can control my body, something even Thomas can struggle with. Hopefully, what has helped me be successful at other levels of the game can help me in Traverse City as well.”

No comments: