Friday, August 24, 2012

Kilgore brings leadership to Hounds

High school homecoming events don’t usually happen until October, but for Tommy Kilgore, his homecoming is now.

A 20-year-old Pinckney native, Kilgore has chosen to play his final season of junior hockey with the Hartland Hounds.

He skated the past two years with the Metro Jets of the North American 3 Hockey League in Waterford, serving as team captain during the 2011-12 season and earning a mid-season call-up to the North American Hockey League’s Port Huron Fighting Falcons the season prior.

Needless to say, Hounds’ coach Randy Montrose is more than elated with Kilgore electing to play in Hartland, just a stone’s throw from Pinckney, where Kilgore played high school hockey.

“I know Tommy had several options on where to play next season, but he made the decision to play here and we couldn’t be happier,” said Montrose. “He’s played in the NAHL and he’s been a captain in the NA3, so we’re banking on him being a leader for us this season. I think he’ll wear a letter for sure.”

Kilgore said that the intrigue of staying near his home base was a big reason why he picked the Hounds.

“The Hounds are close to home and I think that I would play more in this league and put up better numbers this year,” said Kilgore. “I think the experience I have gained in the past two years will help me this year to put up very good numbers and feel more comfortable playing in games.”

Giving credit where credit is due, Kilgore praised Jets’ coach Jason Cirone for his guidance the past two years.

 “Jason taught me more In the past two years than I have ever learned before,” explained Kilgore. “He helped me become a tougher, smarter player on the ice and how to perform in certain situations and I plan on using that this year.”

Kilgore added that he wants to use this year as a spring-board to more competitive hockey down the road, but that he is a team player first and foremost.

"I expect to put up points and help the team somehow every night,” Kilgore said. “I think we can gear up for a championship run and have a successful season.”

No comments: