Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ruterbusch aiming for consistency

Jordan Ruterbusch has just one goal for himself this season with the Hartland Hounds.

Consistency.

No certain number of points or anything like that.

The 18-year-old Hartland native just wants to a dependable forward for Hounds’ coach Randy Montrose.

“That’s how I’ve always played,” said Ruterbusch. “I’m not much of a goal-scorer, but I like to be a playmaker. I’ll take care of the defensive zone first and then hopefully that carries over to the offensive zone.”

A 2012 Hartland High School graduate, Ruterbusch had a handful of playing options for this year after playing for the Hartland hockey team. Ultimately, he picked staying in his hometown.

“My coach from last year, Rick Gadwa, said the Midwest Junior Hockey League was going to be a good league and that he thought it would be a good opportunity for me,” Ruterbusch said. “Then when I first met Randy, he talked about how big he was into moving guys up to higher levels and that really appealed to me. I see this league as another door and another chance to play competitive hockey.”

 Ironically enough, Gadwa played the 2003-04 season for the Brighton-based Michigan Stars – a team Montrose ran as general manager – of the defunct Continental Elite Hockey League and also skated for Montrose and current Traverse City Cohos’ coach Scott Gardiner at Hartland High previous to the CEHL.

“What I like most about Jordan is his character and his competitiveness,” Montrose said. “He’s a kid that will make a lot of noise and will definitely be a spark plug for us this season. When he’s on the ice, you’ll know it.”

And while Ruterbusch sees the Hounds having a strong regular season that he hopes will carry over to the Veteran’s Memorial Cup playoffs, it’s the mood right now that makes Ruterbusch ooze with confidence before the first puck has even dropped.

“Most of the guys on this team have either played against or with each other and I think we’ve looked good in our informal skates and at camp,” said Ruterbusch. “I think chemistry is important and especially for right now, it’s a good thing that everyone is getting along and bonding.

“It should be a good season for us and I hope these next couple weeks just fly by.”

No comments: