Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hounds get stronger up front with Miglia

And the Hartland Hounds continue to get stronger up front.

Cam Miglia should play in the Hounds’ top six forwards this season after a solid year in 2011-12 with the Detroit Falcons 18U team (pictured), finishing third in the North American Prospects Hockey League standings.

He’ll look to be equally as successful this year in the Midwest Junior Hockey League.

It was actually two years ago while a senior at Brighton High School that Miglia was first noticed by Hartland coach Randy Montrose, who was then at the helm of rival Howell High School.

“Coach Montrose saw me play in high school and thought I would be a good fit for the Hounds being so close to home,” said the 19-year-old Brighton native. “It’s a new league and I don’t know much about it, but Randy is a great coach and that’s why I decided to play here.”

Miglia, like many of the Hartland players, had numerous options for this coming season and was even taken third overall in the North American 3 Hockey League draft by the Battle Creek Jr. Revolution in June.

When the opportunity to play for the Hounds arose, Miglia didn’t think twice.

“What really made me want to play here is Montrose,” beamed Miglia, who stands 5-foot-10 and tips the scales at 170 pounds. “He really develops his players and moves them to the next level; he is a great coach. It’s also close to home, so I can get some schooling taken care of as well.”

“I am excited to see what Cam can do in this league,” said Montrose. “He’s a kid that I have seen play a great deal and a kid that can do some great things with the puck. Cam is one of those players that make everyone around him better.”

Miglia feels the strongest part of his game is having a nose for the net and putting the puck in the net.

 “I like to think I’m a skilled guy with the puck, but being offensive isn’t the only part of the game,” Miglia said. “I like to battle down low and help get the puck out, too.”

Being part of what is shaping up to be a very promising team in Hartland, Miglia is keeping his goals simple for the season that gets underway in one month’s time.

 “This season, I would like to win the league go on to nationals and win that for coach Montrose,” Miglia said. “From a personal perspective, I would like to be a team player and help the team as much as possible in whatever role coach Montrose gives me.

 “I’m looking forward to getting the season started.”

Photo/NAPHL

No comments: